gnome-devel-list@gnome.org

How to prevent gnome-settings-daemon from touching keyboard configuration at all?

Vasily Khoruzhick
31.10.2012 10:56 UTC
Hi,

As you may know Gnome 3.6 got redesigned keyboard layout
management/configuration.
I'm not going to blame its developers, but actually it's not usable at
all for those who speak at least
two languages and uses two layouts. Maybe english-only-speaking devs
did not notice that, but
it's major regression - one can't switch layout via key/key combo he used to.

But there's another issue - I can't configure it via xorg.conf or
startup script with setxkbmap - because
gnome-settings-daemon overrides keyboard layout settings. Is there a
way to prevent gnome-settings-daemon
from managing keyboard configuration at all?

Regards
Vasily

P.S. It's ridiculous to remove _working_ feature before implementing
replacement, it's not professional at all.
_______________________________________________
gnome-devel-list mailing list
gnome-devel-list@gnome.org
Chow Loong Jin
31.10.2012 12:20 UTC
On 31/10/2012 18:55, Vasily Khoruzhick wrote:
> Hi,
> As you may know Gnome 3.6 got redesigned keyboard layout
> management/configuration.
> I'm not going to blame its developers, but actually it's not usable at
> all for those who speak at least
> two languages and uses two layouts. Maybe english-only-speaking devs
> did not notice that, but
> it's major regression - one can't switch layout via key/key combo he used to.
> But there's another issue - I can't configure it via xorg.conf or
> startup script with setxkbmap - because
> gnome-settings-daemon overrides keyboard layout settings. Is there a
> way to prevent gnome-settings-daemon
> from managing keyboard configuration at all?

I haven't tested to see if this works, but try disabling the keyboard plugin in
gnome-settings-daemon:

$ gsettings set org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.keyboard active false

Kind regards,
Loong Jin

_______________________________________________
gnome-devel-list mailing list
gnome-devel-list@gnome.org
Vasily Khoruzhick
31.10.2012 12:28 UTC
On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 3:14 PM, Chow Loong Jin <hyperair@debian.org> wrote:

> I haven't tested to see if this works, but try disabling the keyboard plugin in
> gnome-settings-daemon:
> $ gsettings set org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.keyboard active false

Layout switch key specified in xorg.conf still is not working. Is this
setting global or per-user?

I've recompiled gnome-settings-daemon without keyboard plugin at all,
and settings from xorg.conf have expected
effect, but I prefer less invasive changes.

Regards
Vasily
_______________________________________________
gnome-devel-list mailing list
gnome-devel-list@gnome.org
Chow Loong Jin
31.10.2012 13:22 UTC
On 31/10/2012 20:27, Vasily Khoruzhick wrote:
> Layout switch key specified in xorg.conf still is not working. Is this
> setting global or per-user?
> I've recompiled gnome-settings-daemon without keyboard plugin at all,
> and settings from xorg.conf have expected
> effect, but I prefer less invasive changes.

It's a per-user setting. As for removing the keyboard plugin, that's also quite
possible without recompiling -- just remove
/usr/lib/gnome-settings-daemon-3.0/libkeyboard.so and
/usr/lib/gnome-settings-daemon-3.0/keyboard.gnome-settings-plugin.

P.S. Please don't send me a direct mail when you reply -- I read this list
through gmane.